Face serums have been around for a long time, but recently they have become super popular. Cosmetic companies need to keep coming up with new ideas, so they bring out the old ones, revamp, rename, and revive them into something brand new. You have to admit trying new products is great, but the constant supply of new fads can be detrimental to your wallet. Pick out a type of product, in this case face serum. The best way to save your money is to buy one, a tried and true product, a classic that will never go out of style. One that works day after day, through summer and winter, on good skin days and bad skin days. If you decide to buy another and it doesn’t work through all of the above, you will always have your favorite to fall back on.
My two favorites are so much more than a face serum. They are products you all have heard of. Drumroll please . . .
Argan and Rosehip Oil!
Right now I am switching it up between the Organic Aura Cacia Rosehip Oil and the Organic Aura Cacia Argan Oil. I’ve tried many other face serums, and I do like quite a few of them, but these are my tried and true. I will say it again, they are so much more than just a face serum.
The Aura Cacia Rosehip Oil has a darker golden color. It comes in a 1 FL OZ pump bottle. It is 100% pure and there are no other added ingredients. Aura Cacia says “the oil is cold pressed from the seeds of rose fruits, known as hips. It contains essential fatty acids including linoleic and linolenic acids which are known for their skin conditioning properties and restoring skin suppleness.”
Ways to Use Rosehip Oil
Natives from the Andean region in Chili have been using Rosehips for thousands of years, aware of their benefits for skin and hair. You can save a lot of money just by using Rosehip oil as a natural substitute for multiple different products. Here are a few ways you can use it!
- Face Serum– Apply as a serum to the face after cleansing. Add 1-2 drops to the palm of your hand and apply it to your skin.
- More Face Serum- You can add a drop or two into your foundation or to your regular moisturizer. You can hydrate and restore your skin while you have a full face of makeup on! Rosehip oil in foundation gives you a wonderful healthy glow.
- Heal Dry Skin– The fatty acids (Omega-3 & Omega-6) are great for dry skin. Just apply some to any dry or cracked skin to help restore and re-hydrate it.
- Face Spray– Rosehip oil is such a great moisturizer. You can get a spray bottle and fill it with rosewater (also an amazing moisturizer.) Add a couple of drops of rosehip oil. Water and oil don’t mix so you will have to shake before using. Then spray all over your face. It’s the perfect way to quickly lock in moisture.
- Scar Treatment– Use pure rosehip oil on scars or stretch marks. It will help reduce the appearance of scars and texture faster. It also works well on hyper pigmentation. Just rub some on the desired area and watch your scars fade away.
- Strengthen your Nails– If you have brittle nails, rosehip oil will help moisturize and nourish them. Once a week rub some onto unpolished nails. It is recommended to do so before sleep so the oil can work its magic overnight. Your nails will become stronger and healthier.
- Nourish Dry Hair– Add rosehip oil into a bowl, warm it for a few seconds in the microwave. Massage it into the scalp and work through your hair. Tie your hair up and put on a shower cap. Have a glass of wine, paint your nails, or catch up on Netflix while you wait an hour. Wash your hair afterward and notice softer, rejuvenated hair.
- Leave-in Conditioner– Instead of deep conditioning, you can just rub a few drops of oil into damp hair after a shower. It will help with frizz and nourish dry hair. If your hair is oily and you don’t want to add any extra oil to your hair, add it into your regular conditioner. Add a few drops into your regular hair conditioner. Rub it through your hair and let it sit for 3-5 minutes. Rinse it thoroughly. You will get the benefits without the excess oil.
- Give Your Skin a Glow– Just add a few drops of rosehip oil into your body lotion. It will help even out your skin tone, and keep lines and wrinkles at bay. Even better, it will give your skin a beautiful and healthy glow. You’ll look radiant!
- My Favorite Lip Oil- I haven’t seen it written anywhere to use rosehip oil as a lip oil, but I do it. I absolutely love it. My lips are so dry and I have yet to find a really amazing chap stick or lip balm (any recommendations?) Seriously I am looking I need to find one. But I just add a drop of rosehip oil to my finger and rub it all over my lips at night. Ever since I started doing this my lips are no longer cracked and chapped, and feel so soft. Give it a try and tell me what you think.
The other product I mentioned was the Organic Aura Cacia Argan Oil. Just like the Rosehip, it comes in a 1 FL OZ pump bottle. It is 100% organic, the only ingredient is argan kernel oil. It is a clear fluid, and surprisingly does not feel very oily. Aura Cacia says “it is sustainably sourced from the kernels of a native desert tree in Morocco. Argan Oil contains high levels of skin rejuvenating essential fatty acids and is great for nourishing the skin.” Argan oil is packed with antioxidants, Omega-6 fatty acids, linoleic acid and is rich in vitamins A & E. It has anti-inflammatory and moisturizing properties. Most importantly, it boosts cell production which is why so many companies include it in their anti-aging products. The trees that the Argan kernels or “nuts” come from are only found in Morocco and the argan forest was declared a “Biosphere Reserve” by UNESCO. Because of this, pure argan oil is usually quite expensive. But a little bit does go a long way, just a drop or two will nourish the face and 3-4 will be enough to comb through your hair. This is how you can make the most out of your argan oil.
Ways to Use Argan Oil
- Face Serum– Put 1-2 drops on your fingers and rub them together. Then rub it onto your face and neck before your moisturizer. Argan oil will moisturize your face and help with fine lines and wrinkles. Plus it doesn’t leave an oily residue, an added bonus!
- Anti-Aging Eye Serum– Put a drop on your finger, then gently pat it around the under-eye area. It is safe to use around the eyes and on the eyelids. The vitamin A & E is what helps with the fine lines and wrinkles.
- Lip Conditioner– 1 drop of argan oil rubbed onto the lips will help heal cracked and chapped lips. It will make them soft and smooth, perfect for kissing.
- Cuticle Conditioner– You can also use argan oil on your nails. Remove all of your nail polish, then add a tiny bit of oil to each finger. Massage it into the cuticle bed and upward onto your nails. Leave it on for a few minutes before washing it thoroughly. Then paint them with a pretty polish. The oil will keep your cuticles moisturized and your nails strong.
- Get Rid of Cracked Heels– In the winter time it is not uncommon to have dry and cracked heels and feet. The perfect time to do this is at night, right after you showered and your feet are squeaky clean. Rub a couple drops of argan oil directly into your heels, any excess can be rubbed on the rest of your feet. Put socks on and let it soak into your skin overnight. By the morning you should notice a significant difference. Do this daily until your cracks disappear, then follow up twice a week once they have gone away.
- Body Moisturizer– Argan oil isn’t only for the face, it can be used all over your body. You can add a few drops into a carrier oil (jojoba is my favorite) and rub all over your body. if you don’t like using oil, you can add a few drops into your regular body lotion for some extra benefits.
- Fight Acne– Argan oil actually helps treat acne by reducing sebum levels. The linoleic acid helps reduce the inflammation caused by acne, and vitamins A&E boost cell production, healing your skin faster. Add a few drops to your skin as a moisturizer or face serum. You can dab a little extra to any problem areas. Tea tree oil has anti-bacterial properties, mixing the two together is the perfect combination to fight acne.
- Skin Toner– You can add a few drops into your skin toner, or you can make your own. Rosewater is my choice when it comes to a skin toner, mix a few drops into a small spray bottle filled with rosewater. You can add other essential oils like tea tree, even add some rosehip oil as well. Shake it before using, spray on a clean face before you moisturize.
There are so many ways to use either of these products, these are just a few. You can check out so many great recipes online for making your own face toners, hair conditioners and body moisturizers, either oil can be used. Argan and rosehip oil are my favorite face serums, I switch up between the two or sometimes just put one drop of each and use them together. I really love adding the rosehip to my foundation, it makes my skin look healthy and radiant, giving me a beautiful glow. You can really save a lot of money by opting for one of these instead of a special face serum. I use mine mostly as a face serum and hair oil, 2 products for the price of 1. Most importantly it is organic, there are no added chemicals. Give them a try and tell me what you think. If your already using pure argan or rosehip oil, leave a comment and tell me what you’re using them for.
Aura Cacia Argan Oil- $10.69
Aura Cacia Rosehip Oil- $7.99 (Currently on sale!)
Aura Cacia Deep Rosehip Facial Oil Serum- $14.52
(Click on the images above to be redirected to Amazon)